Since I have just updated to WordPress 5, it seems appropriate to start investigate what changes do I need to keep in mind if I am to switch to Gutenberg.
While I have been using WordPress 5 on my local test server for months, I still worried about possible breakage caused by an update. Anyway, if my Gentoo experiment is any indictment, then I should have come to the conclusion that “not updating your system” breaks the system worse than “often updating”. The point is that by holding off updates for a long time, there has to be a point where new software start to be not compatible to your base system, and reverting to old versions gets harder and harder. And if you only fix it then it finally breaks, it might has already become a mess that’s impossible to deal with.
Hence, despite the concerns, here I updates the website.
Yesterday I received an email from Let’s Encrypt, the certificate provider I have been using and previously talked about in a previous post.
The mail says:
Your Let’s Encrypt client used ACME TLS-SNI-01 domain validation to issue a certificate in the past 60 days. Below is a list of names and IP addresses validated (max of one per account):
ahyangyi.org (126.96.36.199) on 2019-01-16
TLS-SNI-01 validation is reaching end-of-life. It will stop working temporarily on February 13th, 2019, and permanently on March 13th, 2019. Any certificates issued before then will continue to work for 90 days after their issuance date.
Seems a quite urgent issue, since it will actually break my setup if I do not take actions. Admittedly, this blog has been in a hiatus lately, but I do not want to see it dead.
Two months have passed since the last time I wrote anything on this blog.
What has happened?
I have not written anything on this blog for about four weeks. There are various reasons, including procrastination.
Part of the procrastination process caused me to join a play-by-post Dungeons & Dragons 4E game on GitP forum. Anyway, since the time is already wasted, why not waste it well? So let me document the stories of the games I am playing.
Now that I have an SVG image, that is, the site logo, it might be time to explore more ways to mess with SVG images.
So, what if I want to create a “spinner” based on the site logo?
In the following few days, I will (hopefully) explore how to make interactive and animated SVG parts. There are a few goals behind this:
- To understand d3.js, one has to understand SVG first.
- I want to create a unique progress spinner component.
Sadly, Inkscape does not seem to be a good tool for automated processing. Anyway, let me document the manual process first, and worry about automation later.
Read more“Creating optimized SVG with Inkscape”
Just realized that Kahuna has already included print style in their CSS, so that printed posts will be mostly black-on-white. It saves ink and promotes clarity.
My CSS hacks had interfered with this and caused the printed pages to have a weird header. It has now been fixed.
Anyone interested in typography will probably ask me this question:
Why is there no ligature for “fi” in the site title, de finibus?
And for some time I thought the answer was: “I would like to, but Adagio Serif does not come with one.”
Which is completely wrong. Adagio Serif has a ligature for “fi”, as its style really asks for one.
It leads me to investigate why I don’t see ligatures in my website.
The first iteration of the site logo, or the favicon, has a few problems.
- It is monochrome black, meaning that it looks horrible on dark backgrounds. And for many situations, such as the favicon or an iOS/Android desktop shortcut, I cannot even control the background color.
- The two parts forming the asymmetrical brackets have very different widths.
I do not want to completely abandon the idea yet. So let me start a second iteration of the logo.