Last week I created a post and a page.

The post was this. I wrote about what my first game setup was like, and what difficulties I met with trying to run the game under Linux with Steam Play.

The page, available here, was on the other hand not supposed to be a publicly viewable page. At least not until I have added in more stuff. It contained various technical details of what I did to get my first game running, so that I could follow it step by step and continue my game on a second PC.

Naturally, both the post and the page were named “Football Manager 2019”. Guess what? The generated permalinks are also the same. For both the post and the page they are https://blog.ahyangyi.org/football-manager-2019. The page took priority over the post. Hence, even if the main page shows the correct digest of the post, clicking “read more” would show the content of the page instead. And it was a page that was supposed to be secret at that point…

There were, many different naming schemes that I could use. Unfortunately, I have already made the decision back in a time I did not know about any potential issue, and now it is perhaps a bit too late to change it, as I have used many internal links, this very post also adding to the injury.

What I did not expect is that there is no mechanism of conflict detection whatsoever.

It seems that, given all these considerations, I have to be careful with names.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.